Biodiesel Titration Supplies
Search this site!
Many of the supplies used in biodiesel titration can be found around the house, but be sure not to use them for anything else (especially food use) once they have been exposed to the catalyst!
• Container - plastic or glass, needs to hold 1 liter and be re-sealable; it is for storing the titration solution in.
• 3 small cups - (plastic or glass), they need to hold 1/4 cup (about 50 ml) or more.
• Distilled water (tap water may not be pH neutral).
Scale for measuring the catalyst
• Isopropyl alcohol (30 ml) - with a purity of at least 90%.
• Catalyst - either Potash or Lye (only 1 gram will be needed).
• pH indicator - Phenolphthalein is very accurate, and Tumeric can also be used (a much cheaper alternative).
* More info on
Chemicals Used in Titration
• Syringes - 3 that measure to the ml and hold a capacity of 10 ml (plastic is fine).
• Liquid measuring cup or pitcher - for measuring 1 liter of water.
• Safety gloves - for handling the catalyst.
• Safety goggles - for splashes.
Return from 'Biodiesel Titration Supplies' to 'Titration Introduction'